Sort By: Theme Date
- Formal Models of Domestic Politics. 2013. Cambridge University Press (Analytical Methods for Social Research). Details.
- Representation Through Taxation: Revenue, Politics, and Development in Postcommunist States. 2008. Cambridge University Press (Cambridge Studies in Comparative Politics). Honorable mention, AAASS Davis Center Book Prize in Political and Social Studies. Details.
- Collective Action and Representation in Autocracies: Evidence from Russia’s Great Reforms. 2017. With Paul Dower, Evgeny Finkel, and Steven Nafziger. American Political Science Review. Forthcoming.
- Formal Models of Nondemocratic Politics. 2016. With Konstantin Sonin and Milan Svolik. Annual Review of Political Science. 19:565-84. (Web appendix.)
- Does Reform Prevent Rebellion? Evidence from Russia’s Emancipation of the Serfs. 2015. With Evgeny Finkel and Tricia Olsen. Comparative Political Studies.48(8):984-1019. European Politics and Society Best Paper Award. Comparative Political Studies Editorial Board Best Paper Award. (Web appendix, replication data.)
- Electoral Manipulation as Bureaucratic Control. 2015. With Alberto Simpser. American Journal of Political Science. 59(1):212–224.
- Government Control of the Media. 2014. With Konstantin Sonin. Journal of Public Economics. 118:163-171.
- Private Investment and the Institutionalization of Collective Action in Autocracies: Ruling Parties and Legislatures. 2012. With Philip Keefer. Journal of Politics. 74(2):621-635. (Replication data.)
- Investment Without Democracy: Ruling-Party Institutionalization and Credible Commitment in Autocracies. 2011. With Philip Keefer. Journal of Comparative Economics. 39(2):123-139. Lead article.
- The Productivity Consequences of Political Turnover: Firm-Level Evidence from Ukraine’s Orange Revolution. 2015. With John S. Earle. American Journal of Political Science. 59(3):708-723. (Replication data.)
- Businessman Candidates. 2010. With Konstantin Sonin and Ekaterina Zhuravskaya. American Journal of Political Science. 54(3):718-736. (Web appendix, replication data.)
- The Grand Experiment That Wasn’t? New Institutional Economics and the Postcommunist Experience. 2014. With Edmund J. Malesky. In Institutions, Property Rights and Economic Growth: The Legacy of Douglass North (Sebastian Galiani and Itai Sened, eds.).
- Privatization. 2013. With J. David Brown and John S. Earle. In The Oxford Handbook of the Russian Economy (Michael Alexeev and Shlomo Weber, eds.).
- Did Postcommunist Privatization Increase Mortality?
- Summary, published as Did Mass Privatisation Really Increase Post-Communist Mortality? 2010. With John S. Earle. Lancet. 375(9712):372. (Web appendix.)
- Full paper. 2011. With John S. Earle. Comparative Economic Studies. 53(2):239-260. Abram Bergson Prize for best paper published in Comparative Economic Studies in the previous two years.
- The Contribution of Veto Players to Economic Reform. 2010. With Edmund J. Malesky. Journal of Politics. 72(4):957-975. (Web appendix, replication data.)
- Helping Hand or Grabbing Hand? State Bureaucracy and Privatization Effectiveness. 2009. With J. David Brown and John S. Earle. American Political Science Review. 103(2):264-283. (Replication data.)
- Revenue Traps. 2007. Economics and Politics. 19(1):73-96.
- The Consequences of Collective Action: An Incomplete-Contracts Approach. 2006. American Journal of Political Science. 50(3):802-823.
- A Spoonful of Sugar: Privatization and Popular Support for Reform in the Czech Republic. 2003. With John S. Earle. Economics and Politics. 15(1):1-32. Lead article.
Accountability in Organizations and Government
- Electoral Institutions and the National Provision of Local Public Goods. 2007. Quarterly Journal of Political Science. 2(1):5-25. Lead article. (Web appendix.)
- A Formal Model of Exit and Voice. 2006. Rationality and Society. 18(4):395-418. Lead article.
- (Good) Land and Freedom (for Former Serfs): Determinants of Peasant Unrest in European Russia, March–October 1917. 2017. With Evgeny Finkel and Dmitrii Kofanov. Slavic Review. Forthcoming.
- Is Putin’s Popularity Real? 2017. With Timothy Frye, Kyle L. Marquardt, and Ora John Reuter. Post-Soviet Affairs. 33(1):1–15. (Replication data.)
- Cooperating with the State: Evidence from Survey Experiments on Policing. 2016. With Noah Buckley, Timothy Frye, and Lauren McCarthy. Journal of Experimental Political Science. 3(2):124–139. (Web appendix, replication data.)
- Reflections on Putin and the Media. 2010. Post-Soviet Affairs. 26(1):77-87.
- What is a Big Bureaucracy? Reflections on Rebuilding Leviathan and Runaway State-Building. 2008. Czech Sociological Review. 44(6):1189-1197.
- Shifting Electoral Geography in Russia’s 1991 and 1996 Presidential Elections. 2000. Post-Soviet Geography and Economics. 41(5):379-387.