Sort By: Theme Date
- Formal Models of Domestic Politics. 2013. Cambridge University Press (Analytical Methods for Social Research). Details.
- Representation Through Taxation: Revenue, Politics, and Development in Postcommunist States. 2008. Cambridge University Press (Cambridge Studies in Comparative Politics). Honorable mention, AAASS Davis Center Book Prize in Political and Social Studies. Based on Ph.D. dissertation, Mancur Olson Award for best dissertation in political economy. Details.
- Formal Models of Domestic Politics: Second Edition. Cambridge University Press (Analytical Methods for Social Research).
- The Tocqueville Paradox: When Does Reform Provoke Rebellion? 2018. With Evgeny Finkel.
- Collective Action and Representation in Autocracies: Evidence from Russia’s Great Reforms. 2018. With Paul Castañeda Dower, Evgeny Finkel, and Steven Nafziger. American Political Science Review. 112(1):125-147. (Web appendix, replication data.)
- Related: Democratization as a Continuous Choice: A Comment on Acemoglu and Robinson’s Correction to “Why Did the West Extend the Franchise?” 2018. With Paul Castañeda Dower, Evgeny Finkel, and Steven Nafziger. Revise and resubmit at Journal of Politics.
- Formal Models of Nondemocratic Politics. 2016. With Konstantin Sonin and Milan Svolik. Annual Review of Political Science. 19:565-84. (Web appendix.)
- Does Reform Prevent Rebellion? Evidence from Russia’s Emancipation of the Serfs. 2015. With Evgeny Finkel and Tricia Olsen. Comparative Political Studies.48(8):984-1019. European Politics and Society Best Paper Award. Comparative Political Studies Editorial Board Best Paper Award. (Web appendix, replication data.)
- Electoral Manipulation as Bureaucratic Control. 2015. With Alberto Simpser. American Journal of Political Science. 59(1):212–224.
- The Productivity Consequences of Political Turnover: Firm-Level Evidence from Ukraine’s Orange Revolution. 2015. With John S. Earle. American Journal of Political Science. 59(3):708-723. (Replication data.)
- Government Control of the Media. 2014. With Konstantin Sonin. Journal of Public Economics. 118:163-171.
- Private Investment and the Institutionalization of Collective Action in Autocracies: Ruling Parties and Legislatures. 2012. With Philip Keefer. Journal of Politics. 74(2):621-635. (Replication data.)
- Investment Without Democracy: Ruling-Party Institutionalization and Credible Commitment in Autocracies. 2011. With Philip Keefer. Journal of Comparative Economics. 39(2):123-139. Lead article.
- Did Postcommunist Privatization Increase Mortality?
- Full paper. 2011. With John S. Earle. Comparative Economic Studies. 53(2):239-260. Abram Bergson Prize for best paper published in Comparative Economic Studies in the previous two years.
- Businessman Candidates. 2010. With Konstantin Sonin and Ekaterina Zhuravskaya. American Journal of Political Science. 54(3):718-736. (Web appendix, replication data.)
- The Contribution of Veto Players to Economic Reform. 2010. With Edmund J. Malesky. Journal of Politics. 72(4):957-975. (Web appendix, replication data.)
- Helping Hand or Grabbing Hand? State Bureaucracy and Privatization Effectiveness. 2009. With J. David Brown and John S. Earle. American Political Science Review. 103(2):264-283. (Replication data.)
- Electoral Institutions and the National Provision of Local Public Goods. 2007. Quarterly Journal of Political Science. 2(1):5-25. Lead article. (Web appendix.)
- Revenue Traps. 2007. Economics and Politics. 19(1):73-96.
- The Consequences of Collective Action: An Incomplete-Contracts Approach. 2006. American Journal of Political Science. 50(3):802-823.
- A Formal Model of Exit and Voice. 2006. Rationality and Society. 18(4):395-418. Lead article.
- A Spoonful of Sugar: Privatization and Popular Support for Reform in the Czech Republic. 2003. With John S. Earle. Economics and Politics. 15(1):1-32. Lead article.
- What is Next for the Study of Nondemocracy? 2018. In The Research Agenda in New Institutional Economics (Claude Ménard and Mary Shirley, eds.).
- The Grand Experiment That Wasn’t? New Institutional Economics and the Postcommunist Experience. 2014. With Edmund J. Malesky. In Institutions, Property Rights and Economic Growth: The Legacy of Douglass North (Sebastian Galiani and Itai Sened, eds.).
- Privatization. 2013. With J. David Brown and John S. Earle. In The Oxford Handbook of the Russian Economy (Michael Alexeev and Shlomo Weber, eds.).
- (Good) Land and Freedom (for Former Serfs): Determinants of Peasant Unrest in European Russia, March–October 1917. 2017. With Evgeny Finkel and Dmitrii Kofanov. Slavic Review. 76(3):710–721.
- Is Putin’s Popularity Real? 2017. With Timothy Frye, Kyle L. Marquardt, and Ora John Reuter. Post-Soviet Affairs. 33(1):1–15. (Replication data.)
- Cooperating with the State: Evidence from Survey Experiments on Policing. 2016. With Noah Buckley, Timothy Frye, and Lauren McCarthy. Journal of Experimental Political Science. 3(2):124–139. (Web appendix, replication data.)
- Reflections on Putin and the Media. 2010. Post-Soviet Affairs. 26(1):77-87.
- What is a Big Bureaucracy? Reflections on Rebuilding Leviathan and Runaway State-Building. 2008. Czech Sociological Review. 44(6):1189-1197.
- Shifting Electoral Geography in Russia’s 1991 and 1996 Presidential Elections. 2000. Post-Soviet Geography and Economics. 41(5):379-387.
- Who Reports? Using Survey Experiments to Explore Cooperation with the State in Russia and Georgia. 2015. With Lauren McCarthy, Timothy Frye, and Noah Buckley.